Celebrate Your Blessings Daily!

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Hairpocrisy could be defined as...


a pretense of having some desirable or publicly approved attitude about your natural hair through society's negative perception of its nappiness.
There was a time when I actually believed that I had straight, long hair without snag and acceptable to all of society. But there was so much deception that had been planted into my head for as far back as I could remember.
Going through school, participation in gym, swimming or any sport that would disable the press and curl that took forever to process was definitely a deterrent and for that fact only. I knew that once I came up from the first plunge, my hair would take on a totally new look~and it wasn't straight.
For the last 20 years, I sported so many different styles and hair colors, photos can't even explain. Many of them, I learned to do on my own and the mind altering truth was when I received compliments of how beautiful "my hair" was. I had the response down too. Of course it's mine, I bought it! But I needed more once I turned 40 and with the help of my younger sister (who was also going through the same struggle) we discovered Sisterlocks. Now, I am a certified trainee to retighten Sisterlocks and my sister, son and myself are indebted to the process. My niece, after almost two years, is finally taking the plunge as well. Sisterlocks is the most natural locking process available and I haven't used any type of hair grease, oily moisturizers or harmful ingredients on my scalp since. My natural hair is a way of life now and I'm more confident however, there is a stigma that lies with locks. My son feels it more than I due to its relation to drugs, criminal behavior and threatening behavior of black men whose "dread locked hair" is culturally stereotyped in addition to black skin.
At this point however, locks will just have to be reckoned with as not a personality trait and more in line with a choice to wear natural hair...I'll never put another chemical, heat treatment or hair addition to prove allegiance to be accepted in society.
http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-286632

No comments:

Post a Comment